Money was raised for the town's administration through customs duties on wine and from the fines levied on people caught breaking the curfew, and on March 1st each year the Consul, together with 8 leading citizens, appointed `two honest men', one Latin and one Greek, to assist the Consul with financial matters and to represent the interests of Sudak's multi-ethnic population. Apart from international trade, the town had a thriving community of artisans working in pottery and metalwork.
Sudak remained in Genoese hands for just over 100 years, but in 1475 their fortress was not strong enough to withstand the onslaught of the Ottoman Turkish invasion of Crimea. The Genoese lost control of all their towns in the region and never regained them. The focus of trade shifted to Kaffa, Sudak went into decline and the fortress fell into disuse until the mid-eighteenth century, when imperial Russia invaded to take Crimea from the Turks. In 1771 Russian forces took over the fortress, and a garrison was stationed there until 1816.
During the Soviet era the fortress was restored and is open to the public. Of particular interest is the mosque within the battlements - you can just see its dome above the tower on the left in the photo (above). When the Genoese seized the town in 1365, it was under construction as a mosque, and the Genoese completed it, but turned it into a Catholic church. A century later the invading Turks turned it back into a mosque. During the time of the Russian garrison it was used as an Orthodox church, and from 1883 it became a chapel of the Armenian Catholic church. After the revolution it was turned into a museum by the Soviet government, which is what it is today.
There are other, smaller Genoese fortresses at Feodosia (Kaffa) and Balaklava (Chembalo).